Domaine de l'Ecu Love & Grapes Mixed Case [Astra/Fratis/Pax] VdF 2016
Domaine de l'Ecu
- Vintage: 2016
- Bottle sizes: 750 ML
- Country: France
- Region: Loire
- Appellation: Vin De France
- Wine type: Red
- Varietals: Red Blend
- Varietal notes: Syrah, Grenache, Gamay
- Organic: Practicing
- Biodynamic: Practicing
- Vineyard: This mixed six pack contains wines made from grapes grown by Fred Niger's friends and collegues from around France. They joined forces to explore each other's terroirs and understand the influence of "land vs hand". The six pack includes:
2 bottles of "Astra" Gamay grown in mica-schist soils in the Loire Valley by Benoit Landron of Domaine Landron-Chartier 2 bottles of "Fratis" Syrah grown in clay-limestone soils in the Rhone Valley by Philippe Viret of Domaine Viret. 2 bottles of "Pax" Syrah & Grenache grown in chalky, blue marl soils in the Rhone Valley by Pierre Jauffret of Chateau Terre Forte
- Orientation: Southwest facing
- Soil: Subsoils of Gneiss and Orthogneiss
- Viticulture: Biodynamically farmed, soils are worked, leaf-pulling is done manually and all fruit is harvested by hand.
- Vinification: At harvest, all fruit is received in the winery via gravity (no pumps). Short cuvaison, whole cluster fermentation for one week followed by pneumatic press. All wild yeast fermentation.
- Aging: Aged in amphora for 8 months. Vinified without sulfur, no fining or filtration.
- Production: Limited production: 2000 bottles
- Notes: A unique exploration in "land vs hand"1 Mixed 6 pack includes wines made by Domaine de l'Ecu's Fred Niger using fruit from his pals Benoit Landron (Domaine Landron-Chartier), Philippe Viret (Domaine Viret), and Philippe Jauffret (Chateau Terre Forte). See for yourself how amphora ageing influences to style and energy of these wines!