Under the Wire Sparkling Pinot Noir Rose Hirsch Vyd Sonoma Coast
Under the Wire
- Vintage: 2014
- Bottle sizes: 750 ML
- Country: USA
- Region: California
- Appellation: Anderson Vly.
- Wine type: Sparkling
- Varietals: Pinot Noir
- Vineyard: Under The Wire's first release from this iconic vineyard. Just a few miles from the ocean, this is the real Sonoma Coast. Planted at 1500’, Hirsch is a vineyard of extremes. The vineyard itself sees an incredible 80” average of rain during the winter. During the growing season it can get warm but has a heavy fog influence in the morning and late afternoon. Whether it is driving to the vineyard, trying to find cell service to call a tow truck (there isn’t any) or growing grapes, nothing is easy on the true Sonoma Coast.
- Soil: Goldridge soils
- Viticulture: Farmed using organic and biodynamic methods
- Vinification: Foot stomped, the grapes were left to soak for a couple hours prior to pressing. The Vin Claire was fermented with native yeasts in neutral oak barrels.
- Aging: The wine was put down for secondary fermentation after six months in barrel and disgorged in May of 2017 with 2 grams of dosage.
- Notes: The immediate reaction of Morgan and Chris when tasting this wine just before release was that “this smells like the true Sonoma Coast.” What does that mean? Well, there is a wild raspberry bush just as you turn off Meyers Grade on the way to the vineyard. Go there and pick a few of the raspberries while feeling the first rays of sun and smelling the last wisps of ocean fog. Maybe be a little sleep deprived from falling in love. That is Hirsch.