A refuge for monks in the 16th century, Château d'Arveyres vines have been in the Houbaer family since 1890. Current owner Jean-Michel Chatelier is the great-grandson on the maternal side of the family. On the steep slopes overlooking the Dordogne River, the vineyard of Château d'Arveyres faces south-south-east, towards the medieval town of Saint-Emilion. The slopes and sandy soils provide good drainage and keep the soil from compacting. A good, sunny exposure and the beneficial influence of the Dordogne River ensure that the grapes ripen evenly.